Already 5 projects underway
We support data collectives
What is a data collective?
A data collective brings together all the actors able to transform a project based on personal data into a successful vector of individual, collective and social change (read also about the 4 steps to change the world):
- The Lead partner defines the objectives and mobilises data sharers
- Data sharers volunteer to share their data to push this project forward
- Academic partners co-create knowledge and approve the results
- Media partners amplify the impact of the outputs
- Sponsors endorse the project and support it financially
- HestiaLabs offers tools and world-class expertise
What HestiaLabs does
HestiaLabs supports individuals or organisations wishing to launch virtuous projects involving personal data. For free.
- We help project leader find partners to build a sustainable and ever growing data collective for their project (as described above)
- We make the project visible and attractive with a turnkey website
- We assist the project leader in recruiting volunteers/peers to participate in the project (data sharers)
- We process the data collected (in a privacy-friendly manner)
- We advise the project leader on how to communicate the results obtained in order to amplify their impact
What HestiaLabs doesn’t do
- We do not appropriate data
- We do not share data (we help you share the knowledge created)
- We do not sell data
The projects backed by HestiaLabs bring people together to build and learn things by pooling their data. We help you share the results with journalists, researchers and civil society so that these innovations and knowledge benefit society as a whole.
So? What about your idea? Do you believe that, in your field, data producers (you, me, them, everybody) should be able to decide which of their data are used and for what purpose?
2 Running projects
Dating Privacy aims to understand how dating applications work, in particular how data is collected and processed, and how this affects interactions between users (who is introduced to whom).
The project also provides dating apps users with a tool to visualize and understand the dating apps data ecosystem and its exploitation.
In a first phase, this project will focus on the relevance of geolocation data.
We get lots of information thrown at us all day. Some is targeted, some is amplified. Together we can explore the logics of platform in driving our engagement, to get a better handle on the consequences.
3 projects on the launchpad
We help drivers of on-demand platforms to get their data back and use it effectively for personal and collective interest. Cities are interested in this data as well.
Data is key for optimising mobility solutions. When passengers use multiple services in a single journey, it makes sense to start looking at the data ecosystem from that individual’s perspective.
What happens when we combine forces? Let’s find out!
How is our data used? This is becoming a very important question to address. In this project we build training materials based on real life examples. Our focus is on the continuing improvement of these materials and the participatory nature of the effort.